In 1903, Dr. L.D. Johnson established a private hospital in Chanute, Kan. Forty-four years later, Dr. Long decided to close his facility. This decision spurred local mothers groups to start a grassroots campaign to fund the construction of what is known today as Neosho Memorial Regional Medical Center.
On January 14, 1951, Neosho Memorial Hospital opened. The hospital was dedicated as a memorial to the men and women of Neosho County who lost their lives during World War II.
Today, Neosho Memorial continues its history of service to area families. In 2009, the medical center completed a $20 million renovation project creating a state-of-the-art facility with a new emergency department, inpatient unit, intensive care unit, outpatient observation unit and nutrition services department. In addition, the laboratory, imaging services, sleep lab and other areas in the hospital shine with renovated, expanded and improved patient-centered areas.
Governed by a seven-member board appointed by the Neosho County commission, Neosho Memorial is a not-for-profit, county-owned critical access hospital. It is with pride that Neosho Memorial does not require tax dollars for general operations of the medical center.
It is with honor that hospital staff members uphold their commitment to the medical center’s mission to promote, improve and restore health by Bringing Excellence and Service Together.
Back to top »